Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I found the right salad

My kids are picky eaters. Especially Jadin. He WOULD NOT try anything new if I didn't make him. And he doesn't like home cooking, he wants junk food. Not in my house, buddy. Don't take me wrong, I love junk food, but 1. It's expensive, and 2. I don't want to raise kids who only eat chicken nuggets and fries. 3. Have you tried my baked chicken? It's divine! Ok, ok, #3 is overstating it a little, though my husband who never ate chicken after leaving his mom's house, absolutely loves it. So, back to salads. Recently I decided that the reason my kids don't eat much is because my cooking is based on M's tastes: hamburger, hamburger, hamburger. Seriously, who can eat THAT in 90F weather? If I can't I am pretty sure they can't either. So I started looking for lighter lunch foods (M's not home for lunch anyway so no one can accuse me of being kid oriented instead of husband oriented (heard that one on the radio the other day. Apparently it's bad for both kids and adults. That explaines the way kids are treated here. But I will save that for another post) First thing that came to mind was pasta salads. Kids love pasta and fresh veggies, and so do I, so why not give it a try. The first one had cheese ravioli, fresh tomatoes and broccoli. I made a mistake of making it on Saturday and M gave me an ear full of how he hates broccoli (along with any other veggie. What am I supposed to cook, then?) Unfortunately, the kids didn't like that one, either, though M made a point of telling them how delicious it was when we sat down to eat. Well, we ate it. Today I tried seafood salad. It was a complete screaming success! I have NEVER seen Jadin eat three bowls of anything before. Daniel had two! Even little Rachael got in on the fun, though I think she liked the fork the most :) This one is definitely a keeper! YAY for summer and lighter foods!

6 comments:

  1. Well, I was all for you sharing recipes (especially chicken ones) until i saw the word seafood! I live on an island and still wont come within 10 feet of those critters. Any of them!
    But I am sure glad you found a food the kiddos will eat! But seafood is expensive, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. we are talking imitation crab meet and cooked shrimp from Wallmart :) It's hard for me to believe someone doesn't like seafood! How did you survive as a picky child? What did you eat when you were little?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was the child who would sit at the table for HOURS as I was told until finally my parents gave up (9 pm?) My mom would make me eat a spoonful of peanut butter so I "wouldnt die" and go right to bed. No privlidges since I refused to eat. I was VERY stubborn, to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, don't you love being on your own? Eat whatever you want! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha YES! And with my own personal chef who thinks nothing of making 2 meals. Im so picky, definitly a pain, but he is so good to me. I dont think my parents could understand how I could pass on such great food. I just never liked to eat. Unfortunatly I have gained 60 lbs since I met him, my idea of eating sure was better for my waistline...
    We were so thankful with our girl, the only thing she didnt eat (and she sure tried, but it was too spicy) was chili on a snowy day. She is a GREAT eater, and thinks of fruit the way I think of ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, fruit is expensive in Ukraine, I am sure she is not getting too much in the orphanage. Ireally like American food, it's very hard to stay trim. You should see my friends from home! They are half of me in size! You guys have to come visit Mt.Rushmore some day. I am sure Valya will love meeting Luba. We can have a great time next year for the 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete