Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Service Not Available

I am new to blogging. There are a lot of things I don't know and I have to admit that some things I did took me half an hour of poking around. So, I was really surprised when I tried to update yesterday and saw 'Service not available' on my screen. For some reason I thought that it's not something that can happen, that one can update their blog 24/7. Ah, the things we take for granted.
Speaking of those, our YMCA is holding an essay contest. Participants are to explain what it means to them to be an American. It's open to all ages, so I went for it. I doubt it's going to win anything, but it was fun to express my feelings on the matter. Writing it made me think of all the things we here take for granted. Like, being able to critisize the government out loud without being afraid of going to jail, or not being discriminated on based on age. It's the simple things in life you treasure :)
And, since it's related to the previous thought, I have to mention that today will be my first time ever to vote in this country. I remember when I first came I really wanted to vote, to influence my kids' future even if in a small way. Well, today I get my chance...M already voted yesterday because he will not be home from work in time to do it today. And I feel lost. I have no idea where to go or what to do with the kids while I am doing it (waiting to do it), or even which guy I like the best. All the republican guys seem all right, so which one do I pick? I am not sure. There's this tea party republican I was meaning to vote for but then M mentioned that he owes a lot of money in taxes. I don't want a guy who is avoiding paying taxes. I guess, I'll see when I get there...if I even find the place.
Oh, and I forgot to tell you all about the Volksmarch on Saturday. It's the only time of the year when you are allowed to hike up Crazy Horse mountain. It used to be an ordinary mountain until they desided to carve it into this Indian guy sitting on his horse. We did it once when Jadin was still a very small baby and this time he got to hike..the whole 10k! He did great, didn't complain much. Rachael got a nice ride in a stroller and I got the funnest part, carrying Daniel all the way up and down. The original idea was for him to walk. Did I ever tell you that he is the one an only couch potato in this family? Not that he gets to do it much, we simply don't stay at home enough for anyone to enjoy the couch, but it was not realistic to expect him to walk 10k. So, I carried him, since M said it was his problem and he had to keep up. Good workout, though I was a little tired at the end.
Here's a pic. of us:

1 comment:

  1. What a great picture! And cool mountain! Good job for climbing it, 3 kids in tow!
    I'm sure we would all love to hear what being an American means to you- good for you for entering your essay! You're probably one of the few who entered who was not born here, and has an idea of what it's like not being an American.
    As for voting, are your polling places listed in the newspaper? Just drive around and look for the crowds :) Many people bring their kiddos to vote around here. Im sure its not fun for the kids, but you gotta do what you gotta do...

    ReplyDelete