Tuesday, June 29, 2010

On Free Will

I promised a post on free will on Monday. Unfortunately life got the best of me. To keep the promise I will do it today.
God endued the will of man with that natural liberty, that is neither forced no, by any absolute necessity of nature, determined to good, or evil. Yes, I did take that quote right out of our confession of faith. It says it so well. What does that mean in human language? It means that we are not robots. Nothing created by God around us forces our will one way or the other. Whatever good or bad we do does not depend on weather or the moon or the weeds in our yard (that part is obvious but I decided to mention it anyway). James 1:14 says: 'But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed'
Before the fall we were created with the will and ability to choose between good and evil. We had the ability to do good and to choose God or to do evil and choose to disobey God. Eccl 7:29 'Lo, this only have I found, that God hath made man upright; but they have sought out many inventions'
After the fall man completely lost the ability of will 'to any spiritual good accompanying salvation' (Westminster confession of faith, ch. 9). We are dead in sin, just like God said we will be if we eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge. Gen.2:16-17 ' And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat. But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.' We are not able by our own strength to convert ourselves to God. John 6:44,65 'No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. 65. And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father'
When God converts a man, He frees him from the bondage to sin Col.1:13 'Who (the Father) hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son'. and by His grace alone enables us to will and to do do spiritual good. Phil 2:13 'For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.' We do not do it perfectly nor exclusively (by that I mean we still do evil from time to time, not just good) having still the corrupt nature Adam passed down to us. Rom 7:15, 18-19, 21, 23 'For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.'
In the state of glory only (after Jesus comes back for good) we will be unable to choose evil and will do good only. 1 John 3:2 'Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is'

Now, how does all this apply to abortions (and other bad things people choose to do)? Do our bad choices change the will and plan of God? Of course not! He is either All powerful, or otherwise He is not God! Though he allows us to do bad things it by no means pleases Him nor does it have any affect on His plan. I recommend that any time we have thoughts of grandeur and think we can override the will of the Almighty we read Job 38-40. Job 40:2 'Shall he that contendeth with the Almighty instruct him? he that reproveth God, let him answer it.'

1 comment:

  1. Very well done. I've really been enjoying your blog!

    ReplyDelete