Tuesday, October 5, 2010

What a Difference a Doula Can Make

My friend V asked me to write her a letter of recommendation as she is applying for Mother-Friendly Nurse Recognition. As I was writting it I was reminded how big a difference a good doula can make.
So, to honor my friend and all those women who are there to support us during labor and delivery, I am going to publish my letter.
Here it is:

Dear CIMS Staff,
I am writing this letter to recommend my personal friend and wonderful nurse V.G. for Mother-Friendly Nurse Recognition. Let me first tell you about my background and why Mrs. G’s services were so crucial to our family. I moved to the USA seven years ago after marrying my wonderful husband and we got pregnant right away. Coming from a former USSR country I didn’t know what to expect. I was afraid to ask questions or going to doctors. Prenatal care in my native country is far from great.
V. approached me and offered birthing classes to me and my husband. Knowing that we could not afford to pay her at the time and being a strong believer in importance of positive birthing experience for every family, she gave us her time as a free gift. Her classes were very informative and lessened my fears. She was willing to answer all my questions without making me feel uncomfortable or uneducated. V turned my feelings of fear and embarrassment into feelings of confidence and pride.
When the time came to deliver V. answered my call and rushed to the hospital in the middle of the night even though she was out of town on a getaway with her husband. She was there when the pain hit and helped me use the techniques of relaxation we had talked about during our labor and delivery classes, like breathing, cold compresses and warm showers to make pain less intense. Not only did she provide support to me personally, she also gently guided my husband in being the best birthing partner he could be and worked with the hospital staff to insure a positive experience for all . Her support helped me stay with my original plan of drug-free delivery. She also was there with me after the birth of our son so that my husband could go and be with him in the nursery while I recovered.
V. was there for the birth of my second son and though she didn’t quite make it for the delivery of my daughter she stayed with me in the hospital during recovery. The words can not express the depth of my gratitude and appreciation for what V. has done for us. She and her husband will forever be a part of our family.
I believe that V’s classes and her presence made the births of our children a calm and happy experience.
With best regards,

Olya Bunger

THANK YOU, Mrs.G!

No comments:

Post a Comment