Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Ride of Eternal Significance.

I don't know why I am called a 'stay at home mom'. Some days I am only at home when it's time to go to bed. Yesterday was one of those days. M was home so we took an hour for ourselves after he dropped the kids of at school and I had my teeth cleaned. We went to T.arget and got a pound of freshly ground Sta.rbucks coffee (oh, what a difference a cup of good coffee makes!), a mocha and a scone for M. It was so wonderful to only have one child with us.
After picking the boys us from school we went to Fire.house for lunch. I had lunch all cooked and frozen but M had discovered a gift certificate for Fire.house in his wallet the day before and I LOVE their beer bread.For some reason I always have to drag him there. He likes their food, so I don't know why he doesn't want to go. That certificate was two years old at least. Our lunch cost us 50c!
M. took the kids home for naps and I went to the YMC.A to work out. When I came back 1 1/2 hours later everyone was still sleeping. Did I get a chance to enjoy it? Yeah, right! Remember, I am a 'stay at home' mom. I did get a chance to take a quick shower before we had to go get our flu shots. I haven't had the flu since I moved here almost 7 years ago, but M gets it twice every year (and denies it, too) and he told me he will only get it if I get it. Well, ok. I had three kids with no pain meds, what's taking a little prick for the one I love? Plus, we had a coupon for Co.ld Sto.ne for after we were done (Jadin and I had the following conversation in the car on Tuesday after they got their flu shots. Me 'Mommy and Daddy are going to get those tomorrow, too, but unlike you we are not getting any candy' Jadin 'Oh, I will give you a hug and a kiss for your treat, then' Have I ever mentioned what wonderful kids I have?).
Than it was time for kids' swimming lessons. After that we had a potluck and a movie at church with just enough time to bake my hot dish in between. And while it was baking we went and bought a waffle maker (it was on sale 1/2 off and while I hate pancakes I really like waffles). By the time we finally came home it was time for bed.
So, now to that ride. Since we spend so much time in the car, that's where most of our conversations happen. Jadin started asking why we were not decorating for Halloween. I had to explain to him that Halloween is a celebration of evil spirits and some people that decorate like what we had seen, do not know God. He asked me if they are sinners and if they are going to hell. I said that, yes, some of them are. Then he asked about us. I told him that if we know Christ we will go to heaven where God had prepared wonderful mansions for us (something he told me he was looking forward to when he goes to heaven) and that we decorate for Christmas instead of Halloween. We want to celebrate the birth of our Savior and not the evil spirits. He thought for a minute and said 'Mommy, I choose that. I choose Christ'. His first ever profession of faith.
Sometimes you just have to turn off the music...

1 comment:

  1. Wow, soooo busy! And look at all that money saving in one day! WHEW!
    Love your conversation with Jadin. We also do not decorate for Halloween, but do Fall decorations instead. We also take my nephew trick or treating, but thats the only Halloween stuff we do, and we dont let him dress in scary costumes. I wonder what we will do next year... might just throw a fall party or do something at church that night...

    ReplyDelete