Saturday, October 16, 2010

How Lucky Am I?

I never really thought of or wanted to get married growing up. My family was all about great education, career, accomplishment, being smart, and that kind of thing. I know, I was a huge disappointment :) I am not that smart. According to my mom, good education can cure that...or, in my case, sheer luck. A great job found me when I was still working on my Master's theses. I LOVED the job, and I LOVED my boss. When I started, I was a shy and socially awkward girl who wouldn't talk on the phone to people she didn't know even if her life depended on that. I am still not that great socially, but did I learn A LOT from that man! He also made me a part of his family. I taught his son English for a few years and loved every minute of it, too. His wife did my makeup for the wedding (let me tell you, she did a wonderful job, I did look much better then I ever have in my life)
But I am getting ahead of myself. My mom never taught me to cook or keep house. She always said that great education comes first, and if a woman gets that, she will be able to learn to do the house stuff on her own. If she gets to have a husband and a house, that is. I have no idea why she thought that I wasn't marriage material. She even apologized for that (when she learned I was engaged to an American and to move away) and said that I shouldn't despair and that they will find me a nice UKRAINIAN guy. Mhahahahaha. Isn't that what every girl is dreaming to hear from her mom?
Now, to the point of this post. When I became a Christian, I accepted the fact that I will most likely stay single. There were NO Christian guys in my church or among my acquaintance and I am too opinionated and vocal about my faith to be able to marry a non-Christian. Plus, I know what the Bible says about that. I was happy working, doing things at church and translating for church groups occasionally. That last thing was a lot of fun. The groups were made of American teens and I just loved working with them! Until this one group came. They were not teens, they were pastors. Older people who came to see how work in Ukraine was going. You know, important guys, the guys who made decisions about sending people to serve in Ukraine. If it's not nerve-wracking to translate for a group like that, I don't know what is. Luckily, I was assigned to these two guys who were lay members of a small church and just wanted to learn about missionary work in Ukraine. Wew.
The rest is history. I was married to one of those guys 6 months later. Why? He is the smartest, the funniest, the most generous and hard working guy I have ever met. He is a very talented engineer. He works on cars and he can build a house from scratch. He can wire, do plumbing, lay tile, you name it. Yet he knows history and theology better then some of the professors I translated for at the seminary. In addition to all that, he is C-U-T-E.
So, how on Earth did I get so lucky? God must love me very much to give me a guy like that!
Now, I have to show off his most recent project.
Here's before:



And here's after:




I am one lucky girl!

1 comment: