Thursday, May 13, 2010

Let's get to know each other

I feel I should tell you all about myself a little, just so that you know who you are dealing with. I am 32 yo, a wife to a wonderful man, a mother to three great kids, two boys ages 5 and 4, and a 16 mo baby girl. I was born in Moldova because according to tradition my mom went to her mom to deliver me. That was the only time I have ever been to Moldova. I spent my childhood in Ukraine. My parents are not Christians, never claimed to be Christians and unless God has a wonderful plan for their lives that I don't know about never will be Christians. I am. Can you feel the tension?
I met my husband of 7 years when a missionary friend of mine brought a vision team over and asked me to translate. I had no idea he was bringing my future husband along. I really wasn't looking for a husband. I was 25 yo, had a job that I LOVED and spent quite a bit of time at, and a church that I also loved and spent the rest of my time in. But God had another plan. This guy, Mark, he was just so different from anyone I ever met, I didn't think guys like him were even real! In addition to all of his inner qualities he was (and still is) sooooo cute. I just couldn't say no...after spending 10 days with him in person and 3 months via e-mail. I know, I know, crazy. I mean, who would give up everything they knew and loved to marry a guy they knew for 10 days and move across the world to a different country, speak a different language, live and raise a family in a different culture and still claim to have a sound mind. But I did and am happy with that decision (for the most part).
Seven years and three kids later here we are, in South Dakota. Have you ever been to SD? It's not where you live, it's who you live with, right? Right. Still, I'd like to move to Florida, which is pretty unlikely, considering I am the only member of this family who likes it warm and humid. Well, this is probably more than you wanted to know about me so let's talk about the kids...in the next post, of course.

4 comments:

  1. Great start, Olya. I look forward to reading more!!
    Why is it that all the Ukrainians I know want to live where it is hot and humid?? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Cindie. I can't believe you actually read it :) Are you sure it's just Ukrainians?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bring me the HEAT! Hold the humidity! Texas will do, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also would like to live in FL, since watching Flipper as a child.

    ReplyDelete