Monday, November 29, 2010

So Many things to Post, So Little Time

First, my firstborn son, Jadin, turned six on Saturday.
I am still in denial. He can't be six! I remember his birth like it was yesterday. And now look at this tall young man!
It is a family tradition to invite our friend and doula and her husband to dinner on Jadin's birthday. This sweet lady was on a romantic getaway with her hubby when my water broke. She left their expensive hotel in the middle of the night and rushed back to assist me in labor and delivery...

Mr. and Mrs. G had other plans this Saturday so we got together on Sunday night. We also had Pastor and his wife over.


From left to right: Jadin, Pastor's wife, Pastor, Mr.G, Mrs.G, the doula.

I made a dinosaur cake for home and a spider man cake for church:

It took me two days and an extra batch of dough to figure out the baking thing (this cake is half a sheet, big enough to serve 50, so having to bake it twice wasn't fun). It was so worth it, though. Both cakes were divine! The cream cheese filling is perfect and I was able to find a good recipe for butter cream icing that would be stiff enough for piping and still taste good. I still remember having to throw the whole dinosaur cake out a few years ago when I used store bought icing (it was so bad even the kids who normally eat anything with sugar in it refused to eat it).
One of the highlights of the weekend was receiving a package from my family. Mom sent real Ukrainian chocolate and caviar and presents for all the kids (for Jadin's birthday) We were in caviar heaven! All three of my kids L-O-V-E caviar and we ate two cans! M. says that though he doesn't mind it, it's not his favourite. Fine by me! LOL.
I also made chocolate cars on a pretzel for Jadin to take to school today, but be had to stay home because of the weather. Oh, well, he's be happy to take them there tomorrow.
Now, with Jadin's birthday behind I have Rachael's to plan for. I am considering making one of those dolly cakes where the cake is the dress and you stick a plastic barbie on top. That should be interesting.
-------------------
Christmas time is great for flute. I had so much fun playing all those carols on Sunday and quite a few people said they really enjoyed it afterwards.

2 comments:

  1. Wow that is quite the bunch and your cakes look divine! Good work!
    Happy 6th Birthday, Jadin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am not a baker, it was stressful. I appreciate your help, I would have been in a real trouble had I not started baking on Friday.

    ReplyDelete