Thursday, July 29, 2010

That time of year.

It must be because the bikes are everywhere. Once a year they ALL come to Sturgis for the rally. Or at least it feels like it. I mean, we usually score 20,000 of them. And they are nuts. They don't care about the rules. Or speed limits. They travel in large groups, sometimes 5 of them side by side in one lane. I don't dare drive during the week of the rally (want to live, thank you very much) We stock up on everything a week ahead. But it seems they start coming earlier and earlier each year. The rally is not for another two weeks and they are everywhere already. I wish we could just leave town like all normal people do. But in addition to everything else M will be crazy busy at work starting this week. More terrorists...oops, I mean, tourists :) mean more food to feed them. I will be a single parent for a while. Oh, well, at least we will be going on vacation at the end of it.

P.S. I wasn't going to put any pictures of my kids at the end of this post, but I just can't help it. They are soooo cute. This one is of Jadin during the rally of 2008.

5 comments:

  1. What does your husband do for work? I know all too well about tourists and needing to feed them... ugh. I cant wait for them all to GO HOME!
    I saw the picture and thought "Wow, Rachael is starting to look like her brothers!" Glad you said it was Jadin! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He works for SYSCO foods, they deliver food to restaurants. The rally is soo stressful for him not only because all his days are 16hour days but also because he has to drive an extra long truck and try to not kill the crazies when they try to sneak UNDER his truck. Poor honey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, we get some stuff from them :) Ask him if he could drive that truck on roads made for horse and buggies... thats what they do around here, and literally take up the whole road, width wise and length wise... its comical to watch :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. trust me, he's the best they've got! When noone else can finish their (8hour) rout they put it on him, because he always does. His driving is, uh, driving me crazy sometimes but he can do miracles. I have no idea how he backs in that thing across three lanes of traffic during rush hour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We were in Montana a few years ago when the rally ended. Lots of bikers on I-90. The funny thing to me was all the pot bellies and long gray beards and pony-tails on the guys. I grew up seeing bikers, my sister was married to one for awhile even - somehow it never seemed they would grow old. But a lot of them have!

    ReplyDelete