Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Grilling and Food Related Quotes

Another thing I have never done since moving to America is grilling. M is excellent at it but for some reason is refusing to teach me. Well, the absence of teachers never stopped me before. So I finally decided to grill us some bratwursts yesterday. I know that M doesn't dump the old coals, he just puts a couple of new ones on and drizzles a generous amount of lighter fluid on. How hard can it be?
I decided not to mess with his coals and just put the lighter fluid on what was already there. The flames died down 5 minutes later. So, does it mean I can go ahead and put the meat on? The grill didn't feel very hot but at that point there was no turning back. So I put some foil paper on (to avoid the clean-up :) and there went the brats also. I went back to look 20 min. later and the brats looked just as raw. At that point I started thinking of what else I could feed three hungry kids.
So, after some time the grill got really hot, which makes no sense to me since the was no flame that I could see. And the brats got a little crispy on one side. But they were still delicious. I served them with some potatoes and green beans (last time we went shopping I really wanted to try this steamer bag of veggies in garlic sauce. Jadin liked them a lot) Another American experience down my belt. :)
And now, the food related quotes from the kids (my favorite part!)
From Jadin: I was cutting up some strawberries for Rachael and asked Daniel if he wanted some as well. Jadin came skipping in the kitchen saying 'Oh, mommy, I want some as very well!'
From Rachael as she was sitting in my lap eating/playing with a slice of apple. She started raising her hands saying 'apple! flying bah-ball!' Baby Girl, if you think a slice of apple is a flying ball, wait till I share my favorite sci-fi books with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment