Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Parent-Teacher Conferences.

I don't usually look forward to them. I get feed back from teachers on a day-to-day basis, so it's all old news to me. M. really wants to know what's going on (why can't he just ask ME?) so the teachers try really hard to do them on Wednesday (his day off) because involved dads are a rarity and they are trying to encourage him (gotta love small Christian schools). That meant we had to be there at 7.40 am for Jadin's conference (the only time the teacher had. She is amazing! If it was me, I'd tell mom to come on Thursday)
I am not a morning person. Add M yelling at me for sitting on an important (to him) piece of paper he put in MY seat in the car (that I didn't notice, obviously. WHY would I ever think about looking what's in my seat before sitting in it?) and I was in a really bad mood. Than we pull out of the drive way and it turns out M forgot their back packs (I assumed he brought them because that's what I do when I put them in the car. Since M put them in the car this morning I didn't think about it). You guessed it, somehow it was MY fault. Did I mention I was already in a bad mood?
On the way to school Rachael said something we didn't understand. She was getting agitated (because of the lack of response from us) so M, trying to understand, said 'Did your milk dry out?' (that's what it sounded like). Her response? 'Nope, it's still wet' I laughed so hard! (don't ask me why, it sounded really funny at the time). It's kind of hard to be mad at anybody after laughing like that. It's amazing how a small child can brighten your day like that.
Jadin's teacher didn't say anything unexpected. He is doing very well academically and they she is still working on his listening skills.
Daniel's preschool teacher had an accident in the morning so Daniel had to go to Mrs. H's class. AND we celebrated his birthday at school. As a side note, I overheard her telling other moms how parents were supposed to bring HEALTHY treats and how we (I) didn't (I made chocolate cars on pretzel sticks for Jadin's class treat and Daniel has been looking forward to sharing those with his class on his birthday), but that she DID give them apple slices and they drank a lot of water. (Does this sound arrogant to anyone else, or is it just me? I was never instructed on the matter. 'Insert frustration here')
I am already not crazy about Mrs. H. (I blogged about her showing no grace to Rachael when I was helping at school) and that certainly doesn't make me love her any better.
Luckily, Daniel's teacher wasn't hurt. We had a conference with her right after class, and she said he is a sweetheart and never has behavioral issues (I am not surprised) but we have to work on writing letters and scissor skills (that doesn't surprise me, either. He is a lefty, and scissors are made for right handed people).
It's also Navy Day in Ukraine and I am expected to write a nice note to dad. I am NOT GOOD at that. I want to write something meaningful, but am expected to wish him health and prosperity. That always makes me frustrated, because it seems like I write the same words every year and am not conveying the message of how important he is to me.
It's only noon and I am already feeling drained.
Oh, and I am having an extra long flute lesson tonight and dreading it a little due to apparent (to me) lack of progress after hours and hours of practicing.

Off to the gym I go to work out some frustrations and hopefully to be able to hold it together at the lesson.

5 comments:

  1. Just anoooother daaaaay in paradise...
    Wow, I might have let M ride in the back of the truck if I were you ;)
    So glad your boys are doing so well in school.
    They make lefthanded scissors...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where can I find them? I was seriously thinking that he will have to learn to operate in a right-hand world, but, poor little guy!
    I was seriously considering getting out of the car after hearing 'Have you said 'Oh, I am sorry I sat on your piece of paper' I wouldn't have yelled' but we had a conference. It all goes back to Adam blaiming God for eating the fruit 'The wife YOU gave me, she gave me the fruit and I ate' (it's YOUR fault!!!!) I hate the blame game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have 3 left handed nieces/nephews- they also have left handed baseball mitts, golf clubs and hockey sticks.... and kids guitars...
    we have found it all... poor leftys!

    ReplyDelete