Monday, February 21, 2011

Swimming Super Star (Bragging Moment)

When I was in second grade, my parents decided that school and music lessons were not enough to occupy me. So they signed my up for swimming lessons. And a few months later we moved.
Apparently, I was doing really well, because my coach begged and pleaded with my parents to allow me to continue training with her. She must have promised gold medals in the future because despite their better judgement they agreed. Why wasn't it good judgement? First, I was starting third grade in a new school and was to be enrolled in music school which was a much more serious undertaking than your regular music lessons once a week. Secondly, it took 2 hrs one way, two different types of public transportation and quite a bit of walking. By myself. Perhaps, I should mention here that my sense of direction is non-existent. I once got lost going home from music school which was only 20 min. away.
Yes, the first time I took the wrong bus, it was over. Coaches were upset, but this time mom stood her ground (it took me all day to find my way back home. No cell phones back then, either. Or any phones. It WAS a Soviet country, after all)
Why am I telling this story? Well, apparently, I DID have a little bit of a talent. And it got passed on to my middle son, Daniel.
We didn't realize this until the other day. I mean, sure he was doing really well in his swim class, ending up on the same level as his older brother. Is that unusual? It is. He started this most advanced class for his age group (3-5 yo) at the end of September. It is so rare for children to make it to this class before they turn six, that they only offer ONE class (6 kids max, and I've never seen for then 4 in that class). Which means we HAVE to be there at that time if we want him to swim. When they first dropped him in the adult pool I was sure he was going to drown. I was secretly praying the teacher doesn't turn his back on him for a second and allow my child to perish. I was prepared to jump into that pool and rescue him. At the end of first session his teacher put something like 'it's going to take Daniel a LOOOOOOONG time and a lot of practice to pass this class'. We were on the same page :)
When M told me Daniel passed that class at the end of second session, I thought he was joking. I was sure he meant Jadin. He showed me the paper. Daniel passed the class. After only TWO sessions. BEFORE he turned 5. When I went to sigh him up for the next level, the lady working the front desk (who has been there forever, by the way) didn't know what class I was talking about. It is so rare for any child to be in that class, she didn't know it existed. After all, kids usually didn't make it to the previous level before they aged out of it. Daniel has a whole year before he ages out. Let's hope he will stay there for more then two sessions, because they simply don't have any classes more advanced than that one.
I have a super swimmer on my hands.
And, yes, it means we have to spend two hours twice a week so that the boys can take swimming lessons. Sigh. It's sooo worth it. That's what I keep telling myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment