Saturday, June 11, 2011

Why Do These God Moments Never Happen To Me?

I was talking to a friend of mine and a fellow flute player about something that happened to me recently and that's what she said. Let me give you the whole story, though.
I do my own flute research in addition to the lessons because, well, let's face it, I am a bit slow. Sometimes I need more than one person to explain things to me. Someone who can word it differently, and then it clicks.
So I stumbled over a teaching video for a particular piece of music that calls for a lot of articulated middle Es. If you ever played the flute, you know that middle Es tend to be flat. Just a flute thing. So this particular flutist was talking about venting her Es just a a little bit when she practices because that raises the pitch and once your ear is used to hearing that non-flat E, you tend to be more mindful of your pitch when you perform and don't vent it. Obviously, she has an open hole flute, you can't vent your Es if yours is closed holes (like mine)
I have to admit, I was listening to her and really wishing maybe for the first time, to have an open hole flute. So that if I do want to vent, I can.
So, last Tuesday while working my normal shift at the YMCA I mentioned that this new flute exercise hurt my tongue and I was having a hard time talking (you think I was overstating? Try putting a chopstick in your mouth and curling your tongue over it and playing like that. OUCH! It hurts to even think about that. I'll give it a week and try again ;) And one of the ladies I work with says 'Do you play flute?' (and there I thought I go on and on about different aspects of flute playing whenever I get a chance. Is it possible I go to this place every week for four hours and never mention something that preoccupies my thoughts at all times?) She goes, 'I played the flute when I was young and my daughter (who I share a birthday with, by the way) played it in high school. She is in college now and I have this great open hole flute at home that no one plays. It's in great shape! Would you like to borrow it? I would love to let you use it!'
ARE YOU KIDDING? Of course, I want to borrow it! I will treat it well, keep it as my performance instrument and make sure all the pads are changed and the thing is oiled!

I am amazed at how God hears even the prayers we don't pray, and gives us things that we don't really need but would like to have. I would never be able to justify buying something like that for myself. I am just really not that good on the flute.
These God moments happen to me all the time. Actually, it's not just me. I am quite positive God doesn't have favourites. After all, He gave his Son for ALL of His chosen children, and isn't it the greatest gift anyone could receive?
I guess, I am just mindful of these other little gifts that God gives me. After all, this flute can turn out to be a piece of junk with holes in the keys, but I am still happy. I am happy because God loves me so much to even think of such a little thing as an open hole flute. That He chooses to manifest Himself to me like that. It makes my heart sing.
No, it's not just me. I am sure other people have these experiences in their life, too. We just need to see them for what they are. God at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment