Friday, June 24, 2011

7 Quick Takes

1. My flute playing friend came over with her girls last night for a play date. The kids had such a wonderful time! And so did the mommies. We never actually cracked the cases open or played a note but oh, what a joy it was to visit!
2. Since the actual practice never took place I am going through withdrawal. I need to pack for our trip, but can't stop thinking of the flute. I just want to get it out of the case, to hold it, to play just one exercise, or a couple of scales, my hands are shaking (no, you don't have to put me in an institution, I do not mean it literally :). It's more addictive, than coffee :). Which brings me to #...
3. Our McDonalds on Mt.Rushmore has THE BEST coffee in town! It's better then Starbucks (disclaimer: hot raspberry chocolate mocha from Caribou still holds first place in my heart) I go there so often, that the ladies all know me and my large five cream one sugar :) I also got kids donuts in anticipation of the trip. M. and I are not big on donuts, so our kids don't have them...like, ever. They were sooo excited. Daniel picked chocolate (and later discovered bonus - bavarian cream inside!) Rachael picked sprinkles (and is currently eating it veeeery slowly, one sprinkle at a time) and Jadin got long john with chocolate and sprinkles.
4. Speaking of the trip. M's sister is visiting from AL, so we are going to grandparents' place (were they are staying) tonight. I am dreading it. Grandma is all for healthy eating (hence the donuts for the kids, they don't like healthy food so they end up starving the whole time) and when they built their new house they didn't plan on kids or grand kids to ever come visit, because there's only one tiny guest room (that will be occupied by sister). All six of our kids will go into tiny (and I mean TINY, it's only slightly bigger then our TINY bathroom)office and M and I will sleep on the living room floor (they have a huge glass door and a big window there and no shades. The sun comes up at 4:30 am. Oh, joy!)
5. Hmmm, this turned into a complaining session. I really do need at least half an hour with the flute! (I swear, if Daniel says 'Why are we not packing yet' one more time I am going to loose it).
6. Rachael put on her sandals all by herself! They even went on the right feet! I am sure it was a coincidence, but I am still so proud of my little girl! The caregivers at the YMCA do find her independence a little annoying, though. She refuses help in the bathroom, or with her food, and she fends for herself should an older kid decide to take away a toy she is playing with. She is such a cute tiny peanut, everyone wants to help her or hold her or play with her and she will have none of that. Too much mommy in that little girl.
7. Jadin and Daniel are doing pretty well with their summer school. Daniel loves to read and hates to write letters (he is a leftie! I can't believe I am a mom to a leftie, my own left hand is absolutely worthless) and writing is a bit challenging. Jadin doesn't mind math and writing (we have a special program that his school recommended) and absolutely hates reading.

Happy Friday, friends!

2 comments:

  1. I totally get your 'need' to play the flute. I get that way with the piano, it can be very theraputic! Lucy hates writing too and she's a rightie. I'm always on the lookout on how to help her exercise her writing/composition skills. Right now we're sticking to short copywork, and identifying some parts of speech in that copywork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know, I think part of it is me making him do too much. I tend to work on my own whatever until it comes out just right and though I try not to force that approach on my kids, it's sometimes hard to see I am doing it. It is required that he is able to write his name by first day in kindergarted which is in two short months. I am a little stressed about that, don't want Daniel to fall behind from the start.

    ReplyDelete