Friday, March 18, 2011

A Bit Of A Difficult Situation

Not for me. We are all fine and I am happy to see Daniel feeling better and playing and laughing again. Those antibiotics must be working. Today is his first fever-free day.
I was awaken by a phone call this morning (awaken rather late, by the way, had it not been for that phone call Jadin would have been VERY late for school). I didn't make it in time to actually get it but my friend left me a message. I was very surprised by that call because though we were close in the past and talked a lot on the phone she stopped calling me once she got more independent, learned to drive a car and started working on and off.
She was crying as she told me her husband wants a divorce. Hers has never been a happy marriage, she is mail order bride and a Christian married to a guy hostile to Christianity. Yes, she was told it wasn't the right decision, but it is what it is. She decided to marry the guy anyway. She is not happy with him, and never has been. There's a lot of things he is doing that are wrong. She also thinks he's cheated on her (heard a phone message that wasn't intended for her ears). And now he wants a divorce. He told her she will be better off staying in the States instead of going back to Ukraine (I don't think he cares that much he just doesn't want to pay for the ticket) and that he will be willing to fix her car (she was in a minor fender-bender a week ago, which was the first time I heard from her in a long time, she wanted to know if we can help her pay to get her car fixed) and will take her to California to stay with a pastor she knew briefly ten years ago and haven't talked to for a few years.
She is devastated. She doesn't want a divorce. She doesn't know what to do. She is not a citizen, but I understand that she is eligible should she want to become one (and if she had the money, which she doesn't)
My heart is breaking for her. There's really nothing I can do to help but pray. I am not even sure what to pray for. I don't think staying with the guy is a good thing for her. I can't pray for divorce, it's against God's will and she doesn't really want it. It makes me ever more thankful for the great husband that I have. But I wish it was different for her. I wish she didn't marry him in the first place. I wish she did the right thing and followed God. What a difficult situation! If you think of my friend, will you say a prayer for God to turn this bad situation into something positive.
Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. Olya, you know, that divorce is Biblical if the unbelieving spouse wants to be free. It is scriptural. I Cor. 7:12-16 The Christian cannot request a divorce because the Christian sanctifies the marriage and someday the unbeliever might become a believer because of the love and testimony of the believer. But if the unbeliever wants to depart let him depart. Just a note about Paul's introductory words in verse 12 "To the rest I (not the Lord) say..." Paul is speaking with apostolic authority, not with his personal opinion as some say. He is simply saying that he is going to address something that Christ did not address. Check it out. Also Jay Adams book is excellent on this matter "Marriage, Divorce, and Remarriage in the Bible". Perhaps you can be an encouragement to your friend with this information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sandy. The problem is, SHE doesn't want a divorce. I am not sure if that's because she has no place to go in a foreign country or if she simply loves him that much, but she really doesn't want it.

    ReplyDelete