Thursday, March 17, 2011

Another Reason...

...why I haven't blogged in a while is sick kids. It all started with Jadin (as it usually does). He had what looked like the flu to me. I did take him to the doctor after a week just to make sure his lungs were clear (which they were and by then he was obviously getting over whatever bug he had so it turned out to be a waisted trip). Doctor D. said that since he did have a flu shot that it was probably not the flu. However I talked to another medical professional and she said that they simply missed that strain of the flu.
Jadin is fine now, and so is Rachael (she had fever for two days last week but still has the cough and the runny nose, which could be totally unconnected to the virus, because I found a brand new tooth on the very back of her mouth) but Daniel has had a fever for over a week now. He also woke up crying at 4 am on Wednesday saying that his ear hurt. Well, there's nothing I could do at 4 am, so he was told that, and given Tylenol and sent back to bed. I ended up 'sleeping' in his bed with him (if you can call that sleeping). We took him to the doctor as soon as the office opened and he does have an ear infection, the very first one in his life. Am I the only one thinking that 5 years old is a little too late to start having ear infections? Don't kids usually have them between birth and 5?
Anyway, we started him on antibiotics, what really concerns me is that I found a couple drops of blood on his pillow and dried up blood in his ear. Very, very bad! I called the doc. right away and he said that Daniel could have ruptured his ear drum (the nurse who delivered that news to me sounded totally unconcerned, like rupturing an ear drum is not a big deal) but that he doubts that's what happened (then where is the blood coming from???) because he just looked at him yesterday and it didn't look that bad. He also said to bring him back if the pain worsens over the weekend.
Now, I understand that if his ear drum did get ruptured, there's nothing they can do about it now. But I am his mom and I am freaking out and want answers NOW! Doesn't look like that's going to happen, but I am taking him back Monday morning when he is done with his antibiotics.
-Sigh-
Life WILL get better. I know it will. We just need to be patient.

4 comments:

  1. If his ears hurt, then having his eardrum rupture will be a relief from the pain... I am the queen of ear infections (really should have tubes) and strep (really shouldnt have tonsils)...
    I hate when kiddos are sick and hurting :( Praying for your family's health! My goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS has he been swimming much? Maybe swimmers ear?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Brooke. I did take him to the doc on Thursday after I saw more blood on the pillow. And it did rupture. We haven't seen anything like that before so I freaked out (and the doc. was irritated that I brought him in for no reason) Poor little guy, he will not be swimming any time soon :(

    ReplyDelete