Monday, July 4, 2011

What Comes To YOUR Mind?

If you asked me as a young woman in Ukraine what came to mind food wise when I thought of America, I would say tacos, Chinese food, and, oddly enough (or, at least I think it's odd now), these:

(not the fancy kind, just a simple white ice cream in chocolate coating one. For some reason I can't find a picture of it, so this one will have to do)
While I attribute Chinese food to movies and tacos to missionaries, don't ask me where the ice cream bar is coming from.
Interestingly enough neither #1 nor #2 is a truly American invention. Of course, if you have ever been to China or Mexico, you will probably disagree with that statement. LOL.
In 7.5 years of living here I never did get to try the only truly American thing on that list, the ice cream bar. So, when we stopped by Sa.feway on the way from evening service yesterday, I decided to go for it, today being the 4th of July and all.
Let me tell ya, I couldn't wait to get home. I was staring at them longingly on the looong (5 min.) drive home and even forgot my flute in the car in anticipation of the treat (M. jokes that I always bring the flute in before I even unbuckle the kids. For your information, that's not always true. LOL)
When I got my very first bar out of the pack I was immediately disappointed. What looked so big and scrumptious in the picture turned out to be this little skinny thing. Not at all why I expected.
It tasted ok. I am not sure I'll buy it again, the chocolate coating wasn't very good.
Isn't funny how things are usually not what we imagine them to be.

1 comment:

  1. I don't like them either! The ratio of ice cream to chocolate is way off. And do not give them to your kids because it's just one huge mess! They were better as a kid. It also seems that over the years the amount of chocolate has decreased. What you really need to try is a Dove milk chocolate bar. That is heaven on a stick!

    ReplyDelete